Friday, June 17, 2011

Sugar Free Ice Cream Cake

I guess it was a couple years ago that I started making the birthday cakes for special occasions in my family. I really enjoy doing it so when I my sister asked me for an ice cream cake this year I was up for the challenge. I wanted to secretly make it sugar free since I am on this new stevia kick. So except for the little pink and yellow chips on top this cake is sugar free. Feel free to use real sugar. But I was pleasantly surprised how yummy this was. :)

Chocolate Cake


2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup canola oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups Splenda No Calorie Sweetener Granular
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup boiling water
1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate, shaved (optional)

Preheat oven to 350ºF Grease two 9-inch round cake pans

Combine eggs, milk, oil and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and add to mixture. Beat with electric mixer at medium speed for two minutes. Stir in boiling water slowly and mix thoroughly. Add shaved chocolate. Pour into pans. Place in oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans for ten minutes then remove from pans to wire cooling rack. Then put the cakes in plastic wrap and place in the freezer.

Make the ice cream while the cakes are freezing.




Ice Cream

2 cups 2% milk
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup of Splenda or 1 Cup Stevia Extract in the raw or 3 t of powdered Stevia
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon peppermint extract (I bought pure mint extract, but peppermint is easier to find and just as good)
3 drops green food coloring (optional)
1 cup shaved pieces of Simply lite milk chocolate bar (trader joes)

1.In a large bowl, stir together the milk, cream, Splenda, salt, vanilla extract and peppermint extract until the Splenda has dissolved. Color to your liking with the green food coloring.
2.Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker, and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. After about 10 minutes into the freezing, add the chocolate shavings. After the ice cream has thickened, about 30 minutes later place it in the freezer until ready to use. ( you may want to have the cake ready at this point because it is better if the ice cream is soft to 'frost' the cake with it.)



Topping



Ok I'll admit it I didn't make this part I was planning on make fresh whip cream, but I read that it wouldn't freeze well so I used all natural Sugar Free Whipped topping from Whole Foods. However Cool Whip will work just fine.




Putting the cake together:




Pull the cakes out of the freezer and place the bottom layer on your serving dish or on a plate. make sure the top is flat. "Frost" the cake with a very thick layer of soft (but not liquidy) ice cream. Put top layer of cake on top of the ice cream and wrap with plastic wrap. Put in the freezer until an hour or so until you are going to be serving it. When you are ready to frost the cake with the whipped topping do so. For fun you can add some sprinkles or maybe some more chocolate shavings. Place back into the freezer until you are ready to eat.




Enjoy :)







No comments:

Post a Comment