Thursday, December 9, 2010

30 Before 30~ Finding a great church

A while back I created a list of 30 things I wanted to accomplish before I turned 30. Since they were in no particular order I started with #29 to find a great church. Shortly after making the 30 before 30 blog my house was broken into. It was heartbreaking, and scary all at the same time. In the middle of the day by breaking a door in the sun room somebody came into our house and stole all of our jewelry, most of our electronics, and much more including the feeling of security. Friends and Family were of great support and I cannot thank them enough for their kind words, offers to stay, and even some financial help, so that we could replace some of what was lost. We will never be able to replace the rings that were blessed on our wedding day, but our love for each other will never be lost.
I decided that this was a better time than any to turn to God. Ever since we moved to Long Beach I said that I wanted to find a church where I could feel like home so I finally set out to find one. I started by a mere google search for churches near my house. Then I looked at websites and narrowed it down to 3 churches. I went to United Church of Christ first, and I liked it a lot and felt good about my first visit, but wasn't sure if it was my "home" church or not.
Then I went to Parkcrest the following Sunday. As soon as I got there I felt good about it, but then the sermon started and I realized this was the church I was supposed to be part of. I never even needed to go to the 3rd church. The sermon was about rethinking fear. It was exactly what I needed to hear after my house was broken into. I had felt broken, and unsafe in my own home. The sermon taught me to not allow fear to have the final say, and to be proacive instead of reactive. So we got an alarm system, and a new Dog. My FIL also put bars on the windows. I feel safer trusting God and relying on him in the midst of my fear. So since my first visit I have been attending Parkcrest heartwell campus. The sermons have been amazing and I really look forward to Sunday mornings.

For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love, and self-discipline. 2 Timothy 1:7




ETA: I brought my Mom to church with me last Sunday and it turns out the associate pastor Married my Parents!! And the main pastor Mike interned under my old pastor, the one who married Josue and I. SO I guess this church was meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment